For a long time this was my personal blog. But you know what I love writing about more than my personal life (except everything)? Business.

So this blog is now a place where I will put down the lessons and struggles of building a creative business from the ground up. Please chime in along the way.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I'm moving out.

Today I have been packing up my stuff to get ready to move to Lacey this weekend. I've been excited for the last month or so about moving, but the last few days I have been realizing a few reasons why this move has become so sentimental to me.

The first reason is that I have never lived on my own before. I lived with my parents throughout high school (obviously), when I got married I did not really support myself, and since I've moved back home I haven't had to pay rent, just bills for my car, phone, food, etc. I'm proud of myself for getting to a place where I know I can be out on my own and be independent. A year ago I was newly divorced, working 8 hours a week at a job I hated, driving around an uninsured car that wasn't mine, and not even thinking about a photography business. Now I am a supervisor at a job I (usually) love, mine and Charlie's business is flourishing, I have my own car and soon my own place.

The second reason is that I never really unpacked when I moved home. When I left Port Alice I literally just crammed all of my stuff into the car, and when I got to my parents I was just so... broken, I didn't really do anything with all of my stuff. Some of my stuff is still packed from when I moved TO Port Alice. Going through everything with my best friend today, I kept asking "Why do I even have this?". A lot of things I just didn't go through because moving down here was so hard on it's own, I just put it in a box.

But everything I'm taking to my new place has a purpose. It's my stuff, not just a box full of my past. In a way this move is shedding yet another layer of myself and leaving it behind. This house has been my halfway house, my safe place during this painful transition in my life, and by moving out I will be putting even more distance between someone I use to be and the person I am becoming.

1 comment: